Short remembrance about McLoughlin Bros. of New York


“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
Mahatma Gandhi

McLoughlin Bros., Inc. was a New York publishing firm that pioneered the systematic use of color printing technologies in children’s books, particularly between 1858 and 1920.

The artistic and commercial roots of the McLoughlin firm were first developed by John McLoughlin, Jr. (1827-1905), who as a teenager learned wood engraving and printing while working for Elton & Co.–a New York firm formed by his father John McLoughlin, Sr. and engraver/printer Robert H. Elton. Elton & Co. (active 1840-1851) printed and issued toy books, comic almanacs, and valentines.

John McLoughlin, Jr. continually experimented with color illustration–progressing from hand stenciling, to the mechanical relief process of zinc etching, to the planographic process of chromolithography.

In light of the firm’s commercial and creative development, McLoughlin Bros.

In 1871 the McLoughlin firm opened a color printing factory at South 11th and Berry St. in Brooklyn.

This factory employed as many as 75 artists, and is the probable site of the firm’s experimentation with color reproduction techniques. By the 1880s, McLoughlin books were regularly featuring titles in folio formats, illustrated by chromolithographs.

A number of titles were probably “pirate” editions of picture books issued in England by firms like George Routledge & Sons.

The firm received some new leadership when John McLoughlin, Jr.’s sons James G. and Charles joined the firm after Edmund’s retirement. By 1886, the firm published a wide range of items including cheap chapbooks, large folio picture books, linen books, puzzles, games and paper dolls.

After John McLoughlin, Jr.’s death in 1905, the McLoughlin firm suffered from the loss of his artistic and commercial leadership.

In 1920, McLoughlin Bros., Inc. was sold to Milton Bradley, the Brooklyn factory was closed, and the company was moved to Springfield, Mass. With this sale, McLoughlin Bros. ceased game production, although the publication of picture books continued.

McLoughlin Bros. enjoyed some success in the 1930s with mechanical paper toys called “Jolly Jump-Ups,” but the McLoughlin division of Milton Bradley stopped production during World War II.

Between 1950 and 1951–apparently amid the threat of liquidation, the McLoughlin Bros. executive officers divided among themselves the firm’s archival collection of books, drawings, company correspondence, illustration blocks, paper dolls, free standing wooden dolls, puzzles, and games.

In December 1951, the McLoughlin Bros. trademark was sold to New York toy manufacturer Julius Kushner.

Under Kushner’s leadership, some popular favorites like the Jolly Jump-Ups were reissued. However, the McLoughlin line of children’s books was sold to Grosset & Dunlap in June 1954. Since that date, several books bearing the McLoughlin Bros. imprint were issued, but the name dropped out of print by the 1970s. Since 1970, McLoughlin products have enjoyed great popularity with collectors, and their visibility continues through displays at book fairs and in catalogs like New York book dealer Justin Schiller’s Catalogue 35 (1978) devoted to McLoughlin wood engraving blocks.

Leave a Reply

Share your word

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solve : *
13 − 11 =